Summer AssignmentDepartment: Language Arts
Course: (Incoming) ELA Grade 6
Due Date: 1st week of school
Assignment(s): Select one of the following books to read over the summer. During the first week of school, you will be given a task which will ask you to reflect on the novel you have read. This task will be connected to our first unit in our 6th grade curriculum, Dreams and Goals. As you are reading your novel, you should be considering how the characters and events may connect to this theme. Does the main character have a dream or a goal? What is it? Is this dream or goal realized by the end of the book? How does the main character achieve their dream or goal? You should take notes or mark important moments and/or quotes, as you will be able to use your notes in September.
Our goal is to provide enjoyable reading material and create lifelong readers and thinkers!
- Someone is Hiding in Alcatraz Island by Eve Bunting
- Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements
- Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
- The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch
- Believe: The Victorious Story of Eric LeGrand (Young Readers’ Edition) by Eric LeGrand & Mike Yorkey