Language Arts Department
Language Arts Literacy is the foundation of all learning. To succeed in learning within any area, students must know and be able to use the basic elements of Language Arts Literacy. These fundamentals will interact with and contribute to the students' abilities to think critically, formulate meaning, and solve problems.
It is the intent of our school's administration and instructional staff to prepare our students to effectively use language as the primary tool of thought and communication through their studies. Additionally, the students will be able to understand literature as the verbal expression of the human imagination and as a transmitter of culture and values. They will engage in fluent, appropriate speech and writing. Learning experiences and the utilization of technology will enable them to analyze, classify, compare, formulate hypothesis, make inferences, draw conclusions, and solve problems both rationally and intuitively.
Through the implementation of this curriculum, which adheres to the New Jersey Learning Standards, students will:
1. Actively read, listen to, view, and interact with materials that are diverse in content and form.
2. Compose texts that are varying in content and form for different audiences and purposes.
3. Speak and actively listen for a variety of situations.
4. View, understand, and use non-textual visual information and representations for critical comparison, analysis, and evaluation.
5. Understand and apply the integration of reading, writing, listening, speaking and viewing to support comprehension, and effective communications.
6. Acquire the habits of inquiry necessary to become thinkers and learners.
Through the pursuit of this vision, students will develop a love for the written word. In preparing students for the future, students will read for learning and pleasure, write for meaning, and communicate for purpose and understanding.