GIFTED & TALENTED/ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
The Manasquan School District maintains a program for Gifted & Talented sutdents consistent with Board of Education Policy #2464 (Gifted and Talented Pupils).
Project Awakening provides a multi-faceted gifted and talented/enrichment program which is designed to discover, nurture and develop the academic skills, critical thinking skills, and creative abilities of our students. Opportunities for academic advancement are provided at every grade level. Identified students will be challenged to discover answers, create new solutions, and employ these understandings and experiences in their everyday lives. Project Awakening provides educational experiences in a variety of domains by offering activities that will enable our students to expand their knowledge and challenge them to reach their highest potential.
Gifted & Talented Complaint Policy/Appeals Process
Parents, students and teachers may appeal the decisions of the selection committee regarding selection or removal from the gifted program by following these steps:
- Submit an appeal letter to the building principal no later than 15 working days after the committee has notified the parents of the selection decision.
- The committee members will review their decision and will respond to the person making the appeal no later than 15 working days after receipt of the letter of appeal.
- The committee may request additional testing or data collection and may interview the student and/or parents.
- If dissatisfied with the decision of the committee, file a complaint with the Manasquan Board of Education. The BOE shall issue a decision, in writing, to affirm, reject, or modify the district’s action in the matter.
- If dissatisfied with the decision of the Board of Education, file a petition of appeal of the board’s written decision to the Commissioner of Education through the Office of Controversies and Disputes in accordance with N.J.S.18A:6-9 and the procedures set forth in State Board of Education regulations.